- The applicant must be strong, well-organised and able to function well under extreme stress.
- Financial management skills and communication skills are a ‘must’.
- Applicant must be knowledgeable about human development and the psychology of family life.
- Understanding nutrition, health and fitness principles are a definite plus.
- Good cooking and food service management skills will make this job easier.
- The applicant must be a self-starter and be able to work in an unpredictable setting with little or no validation or support.
- The applicant must have significant amounts of patience.
- Nurturing and nursing skill are also a plus.
- The assignment may be for 18 years or longer. In fact, it usually last a life-time.
- The job may require any different number of hours, sometimes as many or more than 80 a week. If longer hours are necessary, these will be expected.
- A 24-hour call schedule is also part of this job.
- There are no guaranteed sick days or paid vacation leave.
- Retirement benefits, if any, are not known at this time.
- There is no salary or commission available with this job. In fact, if child support is not forthcoming, the applicant will be expected to pay double time for the privilege of keeping this job.
The job is hard; the rewards are too numerous to list!